Monday, December 22, 2008

the dark side of change for the better

.
i can't write anymore.

while i've rarely been able to write sober--all my self-defeating, overthinking, second-guessing inhibitions come into play and paralysis sets in almost immediately--i could always at least count on being able to write drunk.

until now, anyway.

one of the timeworn cliches of self-improvement is that you have to let go of one side of the pool before you can get to the other, and in the midst of my most recent carefully-constructed quest for something better outta life, i've apparently begun that painful process of letting go.

and it looks like we're starting with alcohol.

the good news is, as a result of recent and ongoing therapies and treatments, i'm growing demonstrably sounder in mind and body--yay for me. the bad news is, said new-found health is seriously getting in the way of my drinking (and thus, my writing--and thus, this blog).

it's weird; the desire to get shitfaced is suddenly not there anymore--apparently, my improving physiology is literally shrinking away from the alcohol and, hard as i try, i can no longer drink with my former wanton fluidity.

it's funny--i still look forward all week to the theory of friday night, that magical time when i can cast all cares of the week aside and start drinking. these days however, when the actuality of friday night arrives, instead of racing for the freezer and grabbing the vodka as in days of yore, i now tend to delay mixing that first drink and then, when finally mixed, let it sit there and sweat for awhile before i force myself to take that first swig. and in the last two weeks i've allowed my work to get in the way of my weekend drinking, a prospect that even recently would've been unthinkable.

in other words, i guess i've let go of one side of the pool; problem is, between letting go of one side and successfully reaching the other, there's this big, scary, seemingly insurmountable stretch of shark-infested water in between, with no life-preservers to be found.

another way of stating the problem? nothing positive has come along to take alcohol's place yet, which is why this blog (among other things in my life) sucks so bad right now.

and it's also why this post is so painfully awkward--i mean, what would you expect from something written on less than one mkf cocktail [look it up--i really don't feel like digging up the original reference to link to], which, in days of yore, woulda been a mere warm-up to the real drinking--and, consequently, to the real writing.

will i turn tail and swim madly back toward the dark safety of the side i know? time will tell, i guess.

* * * * *

i remember back in the eighties all the rich-bitch wives of my uncle's high-living, hard-drinking petroleum-club buddies sitting around twirling their diamonds and complaining incessantly about their husbands' drunken excesses. and then, when after their first heart attacks and/or dui's said husbands dutifully sobered up, leaving them because they weren't fun anymore.

another one of those things i didn't understand then, and totally understand now.

7 comments:

Leslie Johnson said...

I have never heard anyone experiance the same thing as I often go through. That is, drinking because I want to have fun (in theory) and be creative, but when the time comes to actually pour it down the hatch I hesitate. In the past year I have left countless cocktails sitting around the house; forgotten and wet to the touch.
I however have found that I write better sober. Instead of getting into the mood by drinking, I have changed it up so I get in the mood by my surroundings.
I have moved away from typing so much on the computer and have started writing everything in my notebooks first. I dim the lights, or turn them off completely and write by candlelight or my oil lantern. You know, the way people used to.
You may want to try getting into the mood to write in other ways. I did, and its been working out great. I will still have a little drink, but most of the time I dont even finish it.
If you have a talent, or somthing that you love to do; there is nothing, no substance that is souly responsible for its execution. There are other ways to bring it out, one must just find it.

L.J

LMB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Yeah, so you haven't been blogging much. Blame it on not drinking much...and somehow say that it is connected to self-improvement?

This sounds all like a lot of judgments of good and bad behavior to me. If I were an internal medicine guy and I felt your liver, I would say it is enlarged with moralistic judgments. Of course, I also saw it in your eyes and your ears and down your throat where your tonsils used to be.

Beyond that, you are also not really talking about the larger issue: you only write when you are drunk 'cause it paralyzes you to write when you are sober. WTFITA?

I guess I would say why don't you just post some shit you write sober. What's the harm with that? What on earth could be so bad about that? I've seen enough blogs to say that it could not be nearly as bad as so much of the self-indulgent crap that passes for blogging or being a "writer."

I don't buy you have to stop writing just because you are not longer getting tanked on increasing amounts of cheap vodka and diet coke in a big gulp glass the size of a small fridge. So with a flawed premise, the conclusion is also off the mark.

A healthy and sane life is pretty boring...maybe you long for the fantasy of a life so sick and twisted and interesting that it just has to be written down.

Anyhow, it could be worse. Believe me when I say it could always be worse.

Just remember what a friend always told me, "The only thing worse than being alone is wishing you were."

LMB said...

"A healthy and sane life is pretty boring...maybe you long for the fantasy of a life so sick and twisted and interesting that it just has to be written down."

Damn, just read Noble Savages comment and this popped out at me. Ha! I've been fighting this problem for what? Ten years now??

I do have to agree - it's not the booze that is giving you writers block. I still do the same wacky shit - I just don't write about it, that's all. But, my reason I am sure is just as arcane as yours...I hope not.

Anonymous said...

Writing sober doesn't have to be some emo, soul-baring angsty shit.

I agree with Luis, which probably means I agree with My Savage Beast and we all know how I feel about that (love you, dude. mean it.). Not everything has to be angsty, but not everything fun has to be shared either.

mkf said...

so it's come to this in guttermoralityland: the comments are more far more interesting and insightful than the post that inspired them.

Anonymous said...

nah, you're just sober enough to admit that we're far more interesting than you let on.

Happy New Year, my friend(s)!

Be well and be safe...