Saturday, August 23, 2008

the day color came into my life

.
i am sometimes accused of being racist--a charge i dispute, since skin color isn't a criterion i've ever thought about twice when choosing those i've befriended, slept with, dated or looked up to.

tell you the truth, my thoughts about the whole race thing are a tangled knot in my head--i suspect, when it comes down to it, i'm more of a culturalist than anything else--and i've decided this blog is a perfect place to explore some of those thoughts.

here, for your illumination (and, hopefully, mine) is installment no. 1 in said exploration.


a caveat: this post is a musical one. you wanna get what i'm saying here, you have to commit at least 60 seconds of your time to each of the tracks below--trust me, they weren't thrown in haphazardly--and, more importantly, try to put yourself back to where i was then.

if you can't do those two simple things, then don't bother reading further, because it'll just be meaningless words.

* * * * *

i grew up in a time and place--a shiny, lily-white, brand-spanking new subdivision in early-60s houston--where it was possible to go for years without ever seeing a single black person. and for large swaths of my childhood, that's pretty much the way it went.

think about it a second, and imagine what it must've been like: there were no black people in my neighborhood, or in my school, or in the stores we frequented, or on television, or on the radio stations my parents listened to--it's not that black people were good, bad or indifferent; it's just that they simply didn't exist in my world.

[in fact, the first black person to whom i ever personally spoke was a housekeeper we employed for several weeks while my mother was bedridden after my sister's birth--i was six, her name was viola and she made incomparably good sandwiches--and it would be five years before i spoke to another.]

but the other place in which no black person was ever found was on our living-room stereo.

see, my dad ruled the roost when it came to the music in the house, and dad was a die-hard country fan--i'm talking hank williams (because, of course, he was god), hank thompson, roy acuff, lefty frizzell, ernest tubb, marty robbins, rose maddox, webb pierce, jean shepherd, johnny cash, patsy cline--i could go on and on. this is the sort of music i grew up with: hard-core country, almost always twangy--and invariably white.

and that's the way it was.

until the day dad walked in with one of those familiar brown-paper packages from the record store under his arm, flipped off the tv in the middle of the cartoon i was watching, called out to my mother, "get in here, ann--you gotta hear this," and yanked his latest acquisition outta the bag.

and all i saw--not only against a very red background but against all reason--was an album cover featuring a very black man in sunglasses with very white teeth. and all i remember thinking--even though i didn't know the word back then--was, "what the fuck?"

what the fuck, indeed. because when the needle dropped on this most improbable new record, i sat spellbound as i listened to country-western songs i'd heard all my young life interpreted in ways i'd never even imagined possible.

to really understand what i heard that day, you first have to get a sense of what i'd been exposed to up until then, so i'm gonna give you a couple examples.

for instance, roy acuff wrote and recorded this song--an enduring country classic--long long before i was born:




even at six, i'd always found "worried mind" trite, one-dimensional and stupid--until the following hit me like a ton of bricks, and my eyes were opened forever:



sublime, ain't it? i could listen to this over and over--and often do (in fact, i'm doing it right now).

but the one that really nailed it for me was this strange new black man's cover of a song i'd always actually liked.

see, unlike most of my dad's favorites, don gibson wasn't twangy--he wrote great songs (such as "sweet dreams" for patsy cline), and favored subtle, low-key arrangements that featured his 12-string-guitar virtuosity rather than the pedal-steel excess that was so common back then. the following is a perfect example of his consummate skill (and one i have on my ipod to this day):





but as good as his version was, "i can't stop loving you" didn't truly come alive for me until that fateful day in 1962 when i first heard it like this:




yeah, a paradigm-shift at six--how about that?


* * * * *

a year or so thereafter, two notable things happened: (1) i was given a record player of my own for christmas; and (2) the station manager for the no. 1 rock & roll/r&b station in houston moved into the house next door and started feeding me all the new records--and new musical experiences--i could ever possibly want.

but i still have to thank my uber-white, reactionary dad for first showing me that black folk might not only see things different, they can even see things better.

you wanna go further in the story, click here.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when I went to see the AIDS Memorial quilt for the first time.

They were displaying panels of it at my school at the time and I thought it would be interesting to see.

There was a very large, multi-panel display for the San Francisco Gay Men's chorus. There were a number of displays for so many men, dead but not forgotten. It was a very moving event for me personally and just about everyone I saw around me.

One of the panels that struck me was made by someone, actually a stranger, for Ryan White. Folks may remember that Ryan White was a teenager in Indiana who died of AIDS after infection because he was a hemophiliac.

Truth be told, there were two panels on display for Ryan White. I don't know how many quilts came in on his behalf, but I found it odd.

I guess some people could not connect to this terrible disease except from afar -- what they saw on television.

I am reminded of that in reading your post on Ray Charles.

Ray Charles was, in my own opinion, as talented a musician as existed in Twentieth Century America. He brought such power and feeling to his work...and managed to be so musically inventive to boot.

But it kinda nags me that the problem, I guess, is that the second experience with African
Americans in your entire life was with Ray Charles and an admittedly wonderful album.

Did you not see Martin Luther King on TV? Did you not hear of the Freedom Rides? The civil right demonstrations?

Living in an all-white suburb did not mean that black people did not exist, just that they were not personally available to you.

And, at least in my view, it is kinda hard to really understand any other group of people, by race or otherwise, when the most intimate contact you have is not very close.

Ryan White presented a sympathetic image of AIDS. Those thousands of gay men in San Francisco (and New York and Los Angeles) presented something much less sympathetic to so many Americans.

But that is because most Americans only saw AIDS on their television -- from afar.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that the civil rights movement hit everyone the same way, Sav.

My mom used to tell the story of moving from NY to Florida in the early 60's. She went to drink from a 'colored only' fountain somewhere in the South (most likely Miami, of all places) and was told that she *couldn't* drink from that fountain. Being from NY there had never been the distinction...not she hadn't seen/heard all about this "civil rights movement" all over the place; rather, it didn't have the impact on her in the North that it did when she moved to the South.

What Ryan White did was put a 'real' face to the AIDS epidemic. That this child could get the 'gay' disease (when he was too young to be sexualized) changed the way society dealt with AIDS as much as 'colored' vs. 'white' fountains changed the meaning of the civil rights movement for my mom.*

*That's not to discount either historic event. I was too young to know anything about the civil rights movement, and by the time Ryan White came 'round I'm pretty sure I'd already lost a friend (not a school aged friend, but a friend of the family who owned a restaurant in the building where my dad had an office) to AIDS (more correctly, to an AIDS related illness as it was referred to back then).

Anonymous said...

What an interesting post. The Don Gibson cut was actually very nice (this from someone who hates country music) but you're right, Ray's version blows it away. Coming from the background that you described so well with words and music, I can see how that would have effected you so strongly at a young age.

mkf said...

noblesavage: an interesting analogy--and to answer your question: i was totally unaware of the battle for civil rights that was raging across the south during the early '60s, although this changed as the movement (and i) grew. keep in mind, though--the incident that is the subject of this post took place when i was six. cut me a little slack, ok?

judi: it's true that the civil rights movement hit people differently--although i suspect for different reasons; for instance, in the northeast i'm sure people (such as your mother) might've been oblivious because they didn't understand the depth of the problem, whereas in texas folks felt safely insulated from it.

anonymous: thank you, whoever you are, for not only taking the time to work through my post, but for actually getting it.

Anonymous said...

fuck, i wish i coulda' been there with you, listening to the songs and drinkin'..

oh well.. wish in one hand, cum in the other..