Saturday, May 16, 2009

why? maybe just because i never post shit like this

.
[the fonts are all messed up in this post--god, i hate blogger sometimes]

so i met my colleagues for dinner tonight in the break room as usual, and john showed up on this casual friday in a trendy striped T which looked so great on him that i was moved to say, "oh my god, you're so 'tommy kirk circa 1962'!" (a compliment he not only got, but was inordinately pleased by).

which established the topic for tonight's dinner conversation: who were your formative childhood crushes?

it was a subject i hadn't thought about for years, but once the question was asked, they came back to me almost instantly, each and every one.

and so, without further ado, allow me to present for your delectation, commentary and ridicule, the boys that made me squirmy way back before my balls had even dropped:

1. rick nelson


my first crush--i first became aware of him when i was maybe four or five, and would thereafter sit each week glued to the television, completely oblivious of ozzie, harriet and brother david, coming alive only when ricky graced the screen.

tell me--has a more beautiful, more talented boy ever fuckin' lived? (and don't even start with the zac efron, because i'll have to hurt you.)

2. billy gray


while he couldn't hold a candle to ricky, bud from father knows best still managed to give me that fluttery, squishy feeling in my four-year-old kishkas that i didn't understand but so looked forward to each and every week.

and, for that matter, so did

3. bobby diamond


premise of the show: lonely single rancher adopts troubled teenage boy--i mean, what's not to love?

4. tony dow


leave it to beaver was another of the favored shows of my youth (although mostly in reruns), and i didn't care if it was the young wally who turned up when the show came on each week


or the grown-up one

either way, i was mush.

5. don grady


what can i say--i loved me some robby.


ok, enough tv--let's move on to the big screen.

6. james macarthur


one of my beloved grandmother's all-time favorite movies was spencer's mountain, and as much as i loved henry fonda and maureen o'hara, and no matter how many times i sat through this movie with her, i could never tear my seven-year-old eyes away from the luscious clayboy long enough to appreciate them.

7. tommy kirk


i can't remember which disney movie i saw tommy in first, but it doesn't really matter--from that first frame of film, i knew we were destined to be together.


and last in our parade of objects of my youthful lust, but far from least,



yeah, so i was once in love with a cartoon character. eat me--i was seven.


* * * * *

so there you have it: the full panoply of my prepubescent obsessions. enjoy (or not).

whatever--to close this post we're gonna go full-circle, back to where it all began:



so, tell me--who were yours?

14 comments:

Blindman said...

Oh, sweet, unspoiled, vanilla flavored Mike, your infatuation with the flannel clad youth with with thier pouty lips and covered flesh makes me weep.

I, on the other hand, went wild for the hot, steamy, harness clad, chained up man-flesh of Steeve Reeves in ANY of the Hercules spaghetti flavored classics. I am sure it colored all of my sexual desires, as I probably came in my pants while watching him on a rabbit eared black and white tv. Oh, that body! Given enough time, and lube, I could still get there from here.

mkf said...

blindman: unfortunately, i didn't discover steve reeves until i was almost grown, but he was something, wasn't he?

Anonymous said...

-elvis presley
-richard hatch
-ryan o'neil
-harrison ford
-parker stevenson
-richard gere
-tom jones
-bob seger
-robert redford
-dean martin
-all of the village people

i could think of more if i tried but its time to start dinner for weekend guests here.

noblesavage said...

As best I can tell, all of the boys (and they are pretty much all boys) you picked out look the same. They are so clean cut, you could never have gotten a social disease from any of them.

You loved chicken when you were chicken.

Your tastes also haven't changed too much since then either.

As for me...I had a thing for Cannon...that's right, Bill Conrad in all his rotund and masculine glory. He was a real man.

noblesavage said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eddie said...

Rick Nelson. My mom always talks about this guy and how much she LOVED him. Although I'm a bit younger and don't remember the guy myself, I do remember his twin boys and their short-lived fame in the early 90's. They had long, glamor-rock blond hair and didn't look anything like their dad.

I must tell you though... there is this actor, I believe he played in a movie with Sigourney Weaver named "Copycat." This guy played the part of the copycat serial killer in the movie and is the SPITTING IMAGE of Rick Nelson. Have you seen the movie? It's eerie to say the least...

Love your blog. You've got a new fan...

Besitos

twenty.seven.cents said...

lol. I stumbled on your blog from Eddie's... and I loved this post... Unfortunately, it reminded me of MY childhood crushes.. and oh the shame. I looked one up... it wasn't good. lol.
Nice blog. :)

judi said...

well, i can take comfort that, of your more-than-11 readers, I'm probably still the only woman. ;)

my biological mom is the reason i crushed on the likes of Ricky Nelson, Paul Newman, Pelvis, etc.

Me? I had a crush on Spiderman from that show Zoom, Skipper Chuck's second banana, Malcolm Jamal Warner, John Travolta (or John Revolting as my father loves to refer to him), Michael Stipe*, David Lee Roth, and any boy with a mohawk, famous or not. (and Robin Xander from Cheap Trick).

don't hate, but i'm on a lovely alchol binge in my hometown. For the first time ever, S. FL feels like vacation. It really is a nice place to visit, but I don't understand how *anyone* could live here. I've become an Austin snob!

WAT said...

Oh how I love this post! LOLOL! Excellent list, some of these boys I ain't ever heard of! Rick Nelson was hot, but frankly I find most of the dudes you mention here quite cute really.

Oh my, I had my fair share of boyhood crushes too. Fred Savage and Neal Patrick Harris for starters...

Anonymous said...

I found this because there was a link from google to your pic of bobby diamond - major crush on him in Dobie Gillis!

I laughed when I got to Johnny Quest though; why? Because I had a HUGE crush on Hadji!

Anonymous said...

I agree with your man-crush on James MacAthur. My choice among his films as a juvenile actor would be "Cry of Battle", 1963. A modest b&w actioner with Van Heflin and Rita Moreno. Jimmy plays the son of a wealthy businessmen caught behind Japanese lines in the Philippines during WW2I recently tracked down the DVD. There are shots of Jimmy in that movie to make you paw the ground and howl at the moon!

Anonymous said...

Ricky Nelson was so hot in Rio Bravo! I love watching that! Then Tommy Kirk and James MacArthur shirtless in Swiss Family Robinson got my teenage juices going! I also thought Wally was sexy as well! Don't forget Richard Beymer in Diary of Anne Frank. And by the way, I'm 22! My parent's watched the classic stuff so of course crushes came from them! Now adays Taylor Lautner gets the blood flowing!

Enrique said...

I couldn't take my eyes off of Tony Dow's crotch and Billy Gray's perky nips... (swoon)

Anonymous said...

Billy Gray had incredible nipples and so did Tony Dow. their few shirtless episodes were exciting to watch.