Friday, November 18, 2011

mkf discovers fire

.
couple weeks ago in austin, i met up with an old architecture-school buddy who, unlike me, stayed with the profession, and who over the course of a few premium margaritas
whipped up by an equally-premium lil' bartender who couldn't stop talking about how helplessly drunk he got whenever he imbibed tequila, all the while casting significant glances my way (and yeah, he got a big tip)

filled me in on the current state of the art.

while i probably pull down far more coin in my glorified "want fries with that?" job than does said friend in the highly technical and specialized position he's so painstakingly built for himself over the last 20+ years [and for which sorry state of affairs feel free to blame the profession of architecture rather than my lazy, underachieving ass, ok?], our conversation still made me think.

and i mean long and hard--about what i'd walked away from all those years ago, and why.

to the point that when i got home, i set myself to googlin'--and while in my waning twilight years i'll probably never have the time, money, knowledge base and/or attention span necessary to master the current professional standard, i figured i might as well take a shot at google's low-rent alternative.

so i downloaded it.


two weeks ago:


my first model--i was so proud it turned out just like the one in the tutorial that i saved it.


last night:



point of this post:  if 3D modeling software had existed back when mkf first contemplated abandoning architecture, the world might be very different today (ok, maybe only mkf's world, but whatever).

as for the half-finished kitchen above (not to mention the rest of the goddam house):  more to come.

4 comments:

Will said...

In theater design school, we were given dozens of assignments in two and three point perspective very similar to your chair. And I loved them.

As computer drawing programs came into use and eventually became standard in the profession, I remained a digital (waves fingers) designer. I never wanted a machine drawing my lines for me.

noblesavage said...

The kitchen is really nice? Does it exist in the real world?

I fear that if 3D modeling existed back when you started or left architecture, you would have never even bothered to decorate your real world house.

But, I look forward to more.

You have an extraordinary eye for this stuff. While it is true that most folks simply do not appreciate your work, for those of us that do, you are not just brilliant, you achieve harmonic perfection itself.

Babe said...

Clearly, you are ready to "intern" by designing the kitchen of a babe with fabulous taste. And by "intern", I mean "design for free".

mkf said...

will: [i was gonna pass on responding to your comment, but it annoyed me so unutterably that here i am a week later, still irritated]

this from the guy who so recently took me to task for decrying the incursion of technology into the world of art--seriously, will?

like you, i got quite good at the hand-construction of perspective renderings in my time--to the point that, for several years, i made my living that way.

unlike you, i never saw 'em as anything more than a tedious, time-consuming pain in the ass standing between my ideas and their communication to the world.

to me, this software is pure magic, and i'm not about to let you and/or your outdated purist ideals rain on my goddam parade.

[oh, and the basic version is free--download a copy, play with it, expand your horizons a little and then get back to me, ok?]

noblesavage: i was expecting snark from you, too-thanks for disappointing me.

babe: gimme a floorplan and a budget.