Friday, November 13, 2009

it's not just me, right?

.


back in college, i read, and was completely creeped out by, stephen king's pet sematary.

if you haven't read it, its basic premise was: if you lost someone dear and the loss was too great to bear, you could inter your loved one's dead body in a very special burial ground once reserved for pets, and they'd come back to life, and back to you--problem was, what came back was only nominally similar to what had lived before; it was the differences that were horrifying.

these days, and due to the fact that it's my 'hood, i spend a lot of time in the pet sematary otherwise known as beverly hills, and just walking to the drugstore or the dry-cleaners i see countless examples resembling the pic above--rich women with great bone structure who have decided that the horrifingly-artificial semblance of youth is preferable to reality.

today, i took a mental-health day--called in sick, slept in late and ran some errands around my little village. perhaps my poor, overworked retinas were exposed to one too many sad exemplars of the above, or maybe i just had one too many tonight.

whatever--this one's going in before i stagger off to bed.

[apologies to victoria, even though she totally deserves it]

4 comments:

noblesavage said...

Ah, I know exactly what you mean. I have seen far too many really beautiful women absolute destroy themselves with plastic surgery.

Of course, I have seen a fair number of men do the same (look no further than California' Governor Arnold Schwartenfacedoesnotmovebecauseoftoomuchworkdonegger).

I just think it is sad.

mkf said...

noblesavage: living here all these years, i knew you'd relate to this one.

and yeah, some of the guys are equally horrifiying.

don't get me wrong--i would totally go under the knife if i could justify the cash outlay, but i'd happily settle for a semi-convincing shot at looking 5-10 years younger before ever even considering what ms. principal et al. sold their souls (not to mention their looks) for.

judi said...

I am horrified every time I see these gorgeous women, women I longed to look like when I was a pre-teen/teen, destroy themselves in an attempt to retain their youth.

My mother had a facelift at age...hmmm, 50-something, I think, and it fell. Worst money she ever spent on anything.

As for me? My esthetician suggested I think about botox for the 'wrinkles' in my forehead (apparently I have 'expression' wrinkles whatever the fuck that is). I was horrified. I've seen one too many Nicole Kidman waz forehead pics to even entertain the thought of doing that to myself.

I suggest microdermabrasion (yes, sandpapering the face) or possibly laser facial rejuvenation if you're serious about looking younger. No downtime and far less money.

Stallone, Schwarzenegger (close?), Rourke and Greico are downright scary looking.

mkf said...

actually, i dunno what's lower, judi: my level of vanity or my threshold for pain--consequently, i seriously doubt there's plastic surgery in my future.