Wednesday, July 30, 2008

tryin' to get the feeling again

.
[if you can't stomach all the introspective crap that is about to follow, feel free to scroll down to the pictures]

this is a totally self-indulgent post (but then again, what blogpost isn't?), because the last one got me thinking about things i've avoided for awhile.

my memories of that little house of horrors are not fond ones--by the time it was done and sold (which occasion shoulda been cause for great exultation, triumph and satisfaction--and woulda been for anybody normal), i was so exhausted after four years of juggling finances and working 90-hour weeks that, within two months of my "success," i was in cedars-sinai with spinal meningitis, fighting for my life.

and i've spent so much time beating myself up over everything that went wrong with that project--and for it taking so long--that i lost sight of all the stuff that went right.

so yesterday i went back through and looked at the pictures, and thought about what i--a guy working a full-time day job, with limited money and construction smarts (and no plumbing, electrical, stonemasonry, foundation-leveling or finish-carpentry experience whatsoever)--had managed to figure out on his own and accomplish almost single-handedly.

and with the perspective four years and fresh eyes have given me, i gotta admit that i was fuckin' fearless and amazing back then--i thought i could do anything, and i pretty much did.

so, the reason for this post? well, there are two reasons, actually.

one is to show the folks who faithfully come here a side of me they haven't seen up to now (i.e., the competent, creative, non-falling-down-drunk side)--because i know some of you wonder.

the other reason is to remind myself of what i was not so very long ago--because i need to get that back.

see, i haven't handled my success too well--i recovered from the aforementioned illness, but i've never even come close to bouncing back all the way--and, frankly, the booze ain't helping.

and the thing is, i've got another house to finish--one that's been waiting for me, and that i've been living in virtually like a hobo for years now. and it's not because i don't have the money, the time or the vision to finish it; it's because (a) i haven't been able to work up enough feeling to care; and (b) the mere prospect of picking up a saw or hammer again fills me with dread.

and that's just not like me; i used to love to rip into shit and make it better--hell, the whole reason i went to architecture school in the first place was so that i could buy houses, remodel 'em to my taste and move on to the next one, each time having left the world a little nicer in my wake.

so why is it that when i worked so hard and sacrificed so much to achieve that goal--and then actually pulled it off--everything fell apart afterwards?

i dunno--all i know is, i need get back to that state of mind, because time is fleeting and i'm tired of living like this.

so enjoy the following slide show--or not; it's just a tiny little house somewhere that really doesn't matter much in the overall scheme of things (and as always, the pictures enlarge nicely if you click on 'em).


and when i said "tiny little house," i wasn't kidding--we're talking an 850 square-foot, two-bedroom, 1-bath cabin. to add the necessary second bathroom, i tore out a huge masonry fireplace and a laundry closet at the back of the living room. the original bath and kitchen got carved up in order to give the second bedroom a closet it didn't have before, and to add an entertainment center, new fireplace and new laundry closet.

i spent a lot of time on this plan--i agonized over the utilization of every square foot of the limited space i had. my goal was: if it can't be big, it'll be the nicest little house anybody's ever seen.

until that finally happened, however, it pretty much looked like this:



i wish i could maintain a neat, orderly jobsite like bob vila and the guys on this old house, but that's not how i roll.

it eventually cleaned up nice, though


i'm not crazy about the fireplace.  sheathed in this really nice limestone i salvaged from a tear-down in bel-air, it was my first attempt at stonemasonry [which was stupid, seeing as how since it was the focal point of the goddam house, i shoulda saved it for later when i had developed some skills. oh, well--live and learn).


is it obvious i watched a lot of frazier in the 90's?

this entertainment center was designed and installed when most of us were still watching tube tv's; i'm sure by now the new owner has--with finesse fully equal to the sensitivity with which he modified the outside--taken a chainsaw and hacked out sufficient space for his 48" flat-screen.



the reason all the casework in the house is birch has less to do with my affinity for birch [actually, i prefer maple] than the fact that i came across a bunch of birch kitchen-cabinet doors for a buck apiece in the bargain bin at IKEA--and thus are weighty design decisions made.



as for the countertops, i couldn't afford slab stone, so i found 2x2 squares of this really beautiful (and really cheap) azul limestone and end-glued the squares together with color-matched adhesive to make my own slabs. they ended up costing only a couple hundred bucks and looked like a million (and took forever, which probably in the long run more than negated my savings--i've never been too good with the whole "time is money" concept).

another "before" shot...


so that you may more fully appreciate the "after" shot:



the floors were bleached, whitewashed pine--because pine had the virtue of being cheap, came in huge tongue-&-groove planks and was thus easy to install, and--being soft--easy for a newbie like me to sand and finish.

and, my god, were they gorgeous when they were done--until that first beverly hills real-estate agent clacked across the living room in her 5" manolos and left a trail of little divots in her wake. which was when i understood why you don't see more pine floors in houses these days (by the end of that first open house, they had become "distressed" pine floors--they still looked good, though).


this skylight was existing, but was originally just one big ugly hole with wire-mesh glass. and those arched windows were a pain in the ass (getting straight lines right is hard enough when you're an amateur--don't even get me started on curves).



the sliding door that divided the public/private spaces was a nice touch (or woulda been had it not ended up weighing 200 pounds, thus requiring hulk hogan to open and close--again, live and learn).



this is the only shot i have of the master bedroom--those niches eventually got finished with creamy limestone (but i don't think i ever did get all those little goddam puck lights to work at the same time).

now onto the bathrooms--and the exhibitionistic stonework.

people often ask me why it took me four years to get this tiny little house done. while there are all sorts of reasons (some of 'em actually good), the following four pictures are illustrative of one of the bad ones: namely, my tendency to get caught up in time-eating details that, while nice and everything, ultimately didn't matter to anybody but me.



case in point: the picture above is a progress shot of the floor in bath 1. anybody else woulda slapped down some 12" ceramic tile in there and been done with it, but not in my house--i was determined to do something special.

which "specialness" entailed (a) devising an intricate, one-off pattern, (b) measuring, cutting and dry-fitting each individual piece of the perfect creamy limestone i'd spent two weeks selecting, (c) numbering each tile (d) photographing the floor, (e) taking the whole thing up, (f) mortaring, and then (g) laying it all down again with the picture as my guide and hoping it all worked out. i cannot even begin to tell you what a time-consuming, motherfucking pain in the ass this turned out to be.

which was undoubtedly why i elected to do it again--this time with scrap stone from the fireplace and some tumbled pavers somebody'd given me--in the little bathroom:


and it didn't stop with the floors--intoxicated with my new self-taught stonemasonry skills, i next turned to the shower in bath 2:


actually, there's a pretty good reason for not going with simple squares in this shower--that part of the house was still just a little crooked, and this random pattern i devised effectively hid that fact (and yeah, each piece had to be cut individually--but so what? hell, it's only time and money).

and while there was no practical reason to do the same thing in bath 1, it sure turned out purty:



the following picture actually made me smile.  because by the time i got around to finishing bath 2, i was dead broke--this countertop was cobbled together from scrap left over from the kitchen


and that stylish little stainless-steel sink? that was a mixing bowl from my pantry.

* * * * *

so there you have it--i ever figure out a way to separate my resourcefulness and ingenuity from my neurotic self-destructive compulsions, you better look out world, that's all i'm sayin.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, I love it, really. I work in these fucking McMansions all day long and could just scream from the sameness. Yet every single one of the owners think theirs is special, UGH. Do not keep your light under a bushel, that would really be a sin.

mkf said...

blindman: thanks, i needed that--especially coming from somebody in the biz.

Anonymous said...

You are a genius! You should see the cottages over on the South Side (Oltorff-ish) now. Unbelievable, and they're selling for ridiculous amounts of money.

The things you could do with one of those, man...my gd, but you really are brilliant.

As for not ever having gotten back to 'who' you were prior to having gotten very ill; well, I can only say that I get it. After Dan's death/the accident, I was down for the count for twelve weeks with myriad broken bones (not to mention spirit--losing a spouse at such a young age will do that to you). I've never been the same since. The move to Austin has helped by leaps and bounds, but I'm still not 'all there'.

I try to be optomistic about it, though, and I not only suspect that I'll be 'back' soon enough, I bet you will be too.

Anonymous said...

and when you do figure it out, remember that you have an eager little helper bee just waiting to assist you..

mkf said...

judi, you sure know the way to a fag's heart. and it sounds like you've had your share of struggles, but at least you had the good sense to pick the right city in which to bounce back.

yhm: and you know i love you for it, babe.

Anonymous said...

yeah, i freakin love you too..

and i know for a fact that that ain't the cheap vodka talkin.. i seriously do!..

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like you are going through a bit of a valley...for the past four years or so.

I will not pretend to try to understand how you are wired, just to say that it just seems so different from most people.

I am also not sure what is the best way to handle it.

What I do remember is that creating stuff and that little house seemed to bring you so much joy.

It is something you were then and still are immensely proud of.

No one I knows ever feels like beginning all of the hard work, but then you do and you remember all the good things about it too.

Perhaps you just need to remember that and dive in....or perhaps just another tall one. It's the weekend after all.

Just so you know, it is universal to dread working on crap.

Some days I don't much feel like doing what I do...but then I think about all of the people that are counting on me and I pretty much stop feeling sorry for myself.

Or, the threat that if I just don't do it, I will be hit with a lawsuit and ruined.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, darlin'.

Austin has done two things for me in the short time I've lived here:

1. it's given me an extreme sense of peace that I hadn't had for years (long before Dan died)

2. I don't talk good no more.

The former is the most important and the latter can be worked on.

So come visit. Show me *your* Austin. You know you have always have a place to stay, and I'll even stock the fridge with club and limes for your cheap-ass vodka.

mkf said...

noblesavage: well, it was something i was proud of then--and am suddenly now proud of again--but boy, there was a long stretch in between when thoughts of that goddam house did nothing but send cold chills down the back of my neck.

and the way you feel about work now? that's the way i felt back then--having no alternative is a great motivator. but now that i have only one mortgage and a nice comfortable job, i can afford the dubious luxury of coasting along in squalid comfort as long as i want--isn't it fucking sad that i can only be motivated by fear, and not by desire for a better life for myself?

judi: sadly, girl, the austin i knew is no more; it's a strange, new city to me now. but who knows? i may get back there one day before too long, and when i do i'll look you up--i have a strange feeling you'd take to my old architecture-school gang like a duck to water--and they'd take to you as well (and not a word, noblesavage).

Anonymous said...

not sad in the least, darlin' (see, Austin is having a effect on me, lol). I *get* that. It's not the way I particularly like to live, but apparently it's the only way I know how these days.

As long as the architecture-school gang doesn't try and take me on the Duck Tour, it's all good.

But will you be bringing The Savage One with you? I'll bring the Twink (my 21 year old gay boyfriend said "no pics", sorry) and we'll have a--dare I say it? yeah, I think so--gay old time.
:::slapping my knees and laughing at my lame joke:::

mkf said...

judi: the duck tour? splain, please.

and, no, the noblesavage will not be coming along--as he explained most eloquently in the comments relating to my recent coming-out post, he is not overly fond of my old architecture-school friends.

you'd like 'em though--they're younger than me and older than you--and they know austin, and they know how to party and have fun.

Anonymous said...

The Duck Tour is this stupid bus/boat hybrid that apparently operates out of three places:

Austin
Canada (I want to say Montreal, but it might be Quebec)
Ft. Lauderdale

you take a land tour, followed by a quick tour on Town Lake...except that, when my sister and her brood took the tour (it was our first trip to Austin, and I politely declined in favor of a nap), the boat broke down and couldn't get back up the ramp. They were stuck for a couple of hours.

That's pretty much hell for me.

I pretty much don't care that The Savage Beast isn't overly fond of your architecure-school friends. I should be reason enough to warrant a trip out here!!!