Sunday, May 11, 2008

the only thing worse than being alone...

[text]
the following is the text of my very first comment to any blog ever--to a post written by the first blogger i ever came across (a natural storyteller who unfortunately and inexplicably abandoned his very successful blog almost a year ago with a post ironically titled "this blog is not abandoned").


anyway, this comment (a drunken, heartfelt comment, it goes without saying), made almost three years ago, ended up teaching me a cold, hard lesson about the blogosphere i've never forgotten.

see, this blogger had written a really eloquent, touching post about his parents--so eloquent and touching, in fact, that it inspired me to write my own tribute to my mother and send it to him in the form of a comment to his blog.

in my naivete, i assumed that not only would he actually read my little comment and be touched by it, he'd then honor my request to delete it afterwards--i didn't realize then that, unless moderated, comments just appear for all the indifferent world to see.

and appear it did--to my chagrin, my very personal tribute to my mother not only showed up on his comments page, it sat there like this turd on the cyber-sidewalk that all his subsequent commenters carefully stepped around to avoid--and boy, that stung. and, despite a follow-up email to said blogger, he never took it down. in retrospect, i realize he probably never even saw the comment or the email--i guess at that level of superstar-blogdom you've got bigger fish to fry.


but you know what? ultimately it all worked out for the best, because i was able to go back later, grab that comment and turn it into the best birthday card my mother ever got in her whole life--i remember her calling me the day it arrived and telling me how she sat there at the mailbox, tears rolling down her face as she read it over and over, realizing one of her kids really understood her.

anyway, she won't see it here, but you will. happy mother's day, ma.

* * * * *

came home from college one weekend and, as always, headed straight for the food. munching on something (i don't remember what), i perused the latest offerings on the ever-changing magnet-covered billboard that was my mom's refrigerator.

distracted by notes from friends, school pictures of the neighbors' kids and various clippings of interest, i almost missed the one that mattered--tiny, tucked discreetly around the corner, scotch-taped so it wouldn't get away, was a one-liner from what looked like the reader's digest--you know, one of those little items they stick in at the end of too-short articles to fill up the remaining space. it was short, sweet and to-the-point and probably nothing more than a throwaway line to its author:

"the only thing worse than being alone is wishing you were"

all of a sudden, a totally new insight into my mom: this warm, beautiful, charismatic woman--widowed young when dad decided to take himself out of the game, who had recovered from the blow (at least outwardly), had dated occasionally and even developed a couple of semi-serious attachments but always kept her distance, reserving the full measure of her love for her kids--was unwilling to settle for anything less than what she'd had with him, flawed though it had been and he had been (think of that mix of dark attraction and subtle menace that was clint eastwood in "high plains drifter" and you'll get my dad--lots of heartache, but a hard act to follow).

i never discussed it with her--never had to--but it's stuck with me ever since. truth is, that little quip has become my mantra. every time i lightly deflect a request for a second date (or a second trick), or get a too-close look at one of the nightmare 'relationships' that los angeles homosexuals seem so adept at inflicting on one another, i repeat that line to myself; it's served me well and i truly understand it.

thanks for that and for everything else, ma--i love you.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate you for making me cry, and for making me miss my husband more.

That was absolutely beautiful.

Joey said...

Seeing that note on the refrigerator must have been one of those epiphanies when you realize ones parent is an individual human being, rather than just a thing called a "mom".

Anonymous said...

A touching post . Moms are always the first other and we should always love them because they loved us before knowing us . Here's to our moms .

Anonymous said...

BB: nice in theory, not so much in practice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people having good relationships with theirs. Just not mine.

mkf said...

judi: that's the nicest compliment i've had in awhile--thanks for that.

joey: yeah, you're exactly right. my memory's not the best, but i'll never forget that particular little light-bulb moment.

bb: you'll be happy to know i offered up a toast to mom last night (ok, several toasts).

Joey said...

Judi : I'm very happy to hear of any wonderful relationships, as I'm sure you are, including children-with-moms. But don't worry, you're not alone with saying "just not mine." You're in larger company than a lot of people realize.

Anonymous said...

mikey: you're welcome. Thank you for sharing your mom with us.

Oh Joey, Joey, Joey...believe me, I'm fully aware.

I wouldn't be bitter, not the slightest bit, if she'd just leave me alone. I moved 1300 miles away from 'home' and it took her a year but she still 'found' me.

I've been very, very lucky in that I have had two wonderful stepmothers--one who raised me throughout my teenage years and whom I called 'mom' until the day she died, and a new one who is just so thrilled to have a daughter that she makes it really easy to like her.

So, while others are lucky to have wonderful relationships with their biological mothers, I am also lucky as I have/had two wonderful women handpicked to be the female figure in my life.

Joey said...

You ARE excrutiatingly lucky to have had two wonderful stepmothers. So many people don't get that.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photograph.

Anonymous said...

As an extrovert, I'm not sure there is such a thing as wishing you were alone. I have a fairly high tolerance for the transgressions of others. This has been a necessity. Since I have so many faults myself, I have found it definitely helps not to point fingers.

Judi, I would like to think that I understand where you are coming from (for once).

Despite all the Hallmark greeting cards, I think it is fair to say that unconditional love is not automatic, even from a mother. It is something that is a gift and it is all too rare.

In fact, I really don't know any perfect mothers -- including my own. I know a lot that really cared and loved their kids as best they could given their own flaws, self-absorption, and all the rest. And then I know a few that were just plain awful.


As for guttermorality's mom, and I can say this having met her, I like her a lot. She's hard not to like.

As for guttermorality's mantra, I think part of the issue, and I say this gingerly, is that you have, ahem, not always chosen wisely who to spend your time with. That's really the message of just being careful who you spend your time with. Good people add to the experience while negative one's subtract from it.

mkf said...

faustus: yeah, i've always loved this picture. she was so beautiful (my grandmother hand-made that dress, btw), and they were so happy that day. boy, if she'd had any idea what she was signing up for...

noblesavage: you know me well, but sometimes you can't help but transpose your gregarious nature onto me, and assume that i'm similar to you but just not doing it right. and i wish i were more like you in that regard, but the truth is, i'm my father's son in a lot of ways--i've got that loner gene. wish it weren't so, but it is.