Thursday, September 10, 2009

too soon?

.
sorry, but this is my warmest, fuzziest, most nostalgic memory of teddy.

to this day, i remember that day back in tenth grade thumbing through my best-friend bruce's brand-new national lampoon encyclopedia of humor during third-period smoking break [remind me to talk about how different high school was back in 1973 sometime], coming across the above, snorting a mouthful of dr. pepper and cigarette smoke through my nose all over the page and having to buy him a new book.

36 years later, it still makes me laugh--and yeah, i fully realize i'm daring at this most difficult and delicate moment in american history to take the extraordinarily risky step of expressing irreverence toward a freshly-dead kennedy.

all i can say is, eat me--oh, and stay tuned for part 2 of this thread (if you're lucky).

4 comments:

judi said...

i'm a little more daring, i think.

i called radio stations out here requesting them to play anything by The Dead Kennedys.

I'm crass, i know. i come by it honestly.

Anonymous said...

The Dead Kennedys were one of my favorite bands when i was in junior high..

i totally forgot about them..

WAT said...

This was an actual ad?! WOW. BOLD! Witty!

mkf said...

judi and my monkey: while i always loved the idea of the dead kennedys, i could never stomach the actual reality--sorry, babes.

wat: this was a parody ad, but so faithfully true to the real thing that volkswagen sued national lampoon and made 'em remove it from future editions of their encyclopedia of humor.

while this sort of thing is fairly common today, i can't even begin to convey to you how shockingly hilarious it was back then.