Wednesday, June 25, 2008

the great thing about this blog

[text]

[actually, lemme start again, because there's nothing particularly great about this blog]

the great thing about blogging

is that, for the first time in my life, shit's getting written down.

in the past, i'd get lost in a reverie, work some things out, come to some conclusions, vow to myself to take up the thread again at some point in the future and work things out some more.

problem with that strategy is, it's just like tom clancy once said: "if it's not written down, it didn't happen."

and he's right--the minute you move on to the next thing in your mind, those things that previously held your attention in such seemingly indelible ways tend to fade away (in my case, very quickly), until all you're left with is mush. and then, next time you take up the thread, you have to start all over again.

and that's what i've always done--gone back to an old memory, trod the same ground over and over again and never gotten anywhere new.

which is why i've found this blog to be useful; these days when i write about something that happened in my past, i take it about as far as i ever did in my mind--only now i have an actual written record to look at later, and to build upon. as a result of this process (and with the help of certain people who read, comment and email me--you know who you are), i'm actually figuring out new shit, and making connections i never did before.

take the story of david in my previous post, for instance [and if you haven't read it yet, not only will the picture of that glorious '72 caddy up there not make any sense, little of the following will either].

noblesavage opined that it would've been a stronger piece if i'd gone into all my feelings of longing and unrequited adolescent love during that time. i chose not to do that for a couple reasons: first, because there are already many such stories out there, by far better writers than me; and second, because, even though i've gone over that period of my life countless times in my mind, i really didn't understand my feelings much better now than i did then.

until i wrote it down the other night and came back and looked at it later, and some things made sense in a way they hadn't before.

see, at 15, i was a kid who had (a) from the age of about six (when i first realized what was up), systematically set out to eradicate any and all signs of sissy from my affect; and (b) from age 10 through 13--and starting with my father--suffered through the sudden and tragic loss of several key people from my life.

in the course of so doing, i had learned, from (a), that being yourself was wrong and could give you away; and from (b), that loving somebody could end up biting you in the ass and, as such, was to be avoided at all costs.

so i was pretty much well on my way from open, happy kid to emotionally shut-down adult by the time david walked into my life--and what a can of fuckin' worms his arrival opened up, lemme tell you.

see, it's one thing to have an unrequited crush on someone from afar who'll never know you're alive; it's quite another when he's your straight best friend and crashing in your bed on a regular basis. trust me on this--i've done it both ways and there's really no comparison.

[and, to refresh, remember that in my short life i had learned the following two things about emotions: (a) showing people who you really are is dangerous; and (b) caring about people is painful because they'll fuckin' leave you.]

so i learned to--what was it they called it when bill could "love" hillary but could only fuck gennifers and paulas and monicas? oh yeah: i learned to "compartmentalize"--to stuff my erotic and romantic feelings about david behind a little partition that only opened in the middle of the night when i'd wake up--defenseless, shields down--with him all warm, softly snoring into my ear and smelling like only he could smell. and sprawled, trusting and oblivious and unconscious, half on top of me in his t-shirt and boxers.

lemme tell you, it was torture (torture i wouldn't have traded for all the tea in china, but torture nonetheless).

and the rest of the time? hell, we were best friends like any other best friends. david and i were there for each other during a tough time in each of our lives--god, we had so much fun just driving around, hanging out and doing nothing--and i wouldn't have traded that for all the tea in china, either.

here's the bottom line: if i had to do the pleasure/pain equation as far as david's concerned--the dual-edged sword that i believe comes into play in all aspects of life--it'd probably come out pretty much like this:

downside: considering the gay = pain lesson i learned from that time, david's probably a big reason i put off coming out until i was 34, and am thus the emotionally-stunted wreck you see today.

upside: seeing as how so many of the gay men of my generation who came out young are dead now, david's probably a big reason why i'm still around to bore you with this shit.

it's all in how you look at it, i guess.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all play roles in life and act the part we think others want us to do.

It is one of the pains of adult life that the cost of all this usually at some point gets to be too great and we must then strive for better integration of our lives and our true selves. That is often what we call the mid-life crisis.

You had it at 34.

I know enough gay guys who died in the 80s and 90s.

I know a few who, for some reason or other, survived.

As my friend Dave said, however, all the fun ones died. It is his way of saying those who survived weren't much fun then and aren't much fun now. Dave should know, he has been a fun one for most of his 60+ years and always good natured.

Let me share a little story about myself:

When I was thinking about coming out in the 1980s myself, I was scared so badly of AIDS. I thought I was going to die if I was gay.

And, one day, I just bowed my head or slunk into the fetal position or whatever else I did and I resolved to myself that my life then as a closet case was so bad, so painful, so awful, that anything had to be better and that I would gladly and willingly die if only I had a few years of freedom and honesty.

I made that resolution to myself then and it has informed just about everything I have done since. That it was a false bargain is not the point.

The point is that the pain of being closeted has an enormous cost. I believe that some things are more painful than death and that is one of them.

And, the other part of the story is that, at least for my generation, so many gay men had their own personal revelations and crisis early enough in their lives that we all became in some ways so much more mature and emotionally developed.

mkf said...

"all the fun ones died"--you ask me, infinitely better than "and the band played on."

thank you for talking about what you went through when you came out--it triggered a similar memory of my own; one that i haven't really thought about in a while.

and you're so right about the cost of the closet; i think in some ways the really flamboyant boys are luckier than the ones like me who can pass--for them, there really is no choice, and even with all the bullying and shit they have to take, at least they're out there being themselves (of course, having never been the object of bullying, i could be completely full of shit on this point).

Anonymous said...

When I get around to writing my own take on so many years of parties and men -- I keep promising myself that it is going to happen -- that will be its title...and I owe that to you.

It is hard to capture the hedonism of the period. Most anything and everything today pales by comparison.

mkf said...

oh, you definitely should--our lives ran on somewhat different tracks back then; i'd be interested to know more about how you spent your '90s.

Anonymous said...

Sadly I've lost quite a few friends as well. Some were friends of my parents (Larry the Sandwich guy comes to mind--he brought the revolution of the pita sandwich to downtown Hollywood, and used to let me hang out behind the counter when I was fairly young--it was either before he was diagnosed, or before he got really sick), and to this day I choke up when I think of him.

I suppose I'm lucky, in a lot of ways, that I am a bit younger than you and TheSavageOne. Saved a lot of heartache.

That said, sorry for my absence. I actually got a job that takes me into an office on a daily basis (and south of downtown Austin, so you know the traffic is brutal).

Kisses!!!

mkf said...

judi: oh, please--i do some of my best commenting at work.

Anonymous said...

Bite me, lovey. I don't have access to a computer yet as I'm still in training.

Quotas to fill and all that crap, but as I get used to working and commuting again, I'll find my balance and will be back with my 'main gays'.

Love you!!!